The blog of a fanatic who wants to eat, drink, and breathe makeup.

Friday, April 17, 2015

Monistat, A Dupe for Smashbox?




A few years ago when I was first broadening my knowledge of makeup, I came across a post that mentioned Monistat chafing gel was a dupe for a Smashbox primer.  At the time I didn't use primer and I didn't even know what primer was.


Since this was some time ago, I can't remember everything about my decision, but I ended up giving it a try, and well, I've used Monistat as a primer ever since!  Since then I have tried MANY primers, and I don't like any as much as I've liked Monistat.


The Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel is good as a primer in general, but how does it match up to its supposed dupe?


First, let's look at the ingredients.

Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer Ingredients:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Silica, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sunflower Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Water, Grape Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Extract, Camellia Oleifera Extract


Monistat Anti-Chafing Powder-Gel Ingredients:
Dimethicone
Cyclopentasiloxane
Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer
Silica
Tocopheryl Acetate
Trisiloxane.


While the chafing gel doesn't have identical ingredients to the Photo Finish primer, the Photo Finish primer includes everything that is in the chafing gel.  I think this is because the chafing gel isn't really a beauty product, and because of that, they haven't added filler ingredients that supposedly make your skin better, or any of the other claims that beauty products might make.

Don't let this scare you. Lacking those ingredients doesn't mean the chafing gel is going to mess your face up. In fact, I know it won't because I've been using the chafing gel as primer for three years now.



I have tried the Photo Finish primer and I actually prefer the powder gel, for more than just the price!  The price is a great reason to give the chafing gel a try (Photo Finish is $36 for 1 oz, vs the chafing gel at $5.99 for 1.5 oz).  However, my makeup lasts longer with the chafing gel than it does with the Photo Finish primer, so even if they were priced the same, I would take the chafing gel.



As you might know, I have really dry skin, but I think the chafing gel would be good for those with oily skin as well. It dries to a powdery finish that might help absorb some oils.  The chafing gel doesn't moisturize my skin, or anything like that, it simply fills in my fine lines and pores, and is a great base for my foundation to stick to.  I prefer it with more full-coverage foundations such as Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage or Mac Pro-Longwear foundation.  It doesn't do quite as well with foundations that have a more dewy finish like L'Oreal True Match Lumi. However, so far, I have enjoyed it a lot with my Nars Sheer Glow, which is a semi-matte finish.



A while back I talked about using Monistat as a primer on a beauty page I belong to and got some interesting responses.  Lots of women have also tried it and agreed, but a couple were hesitant because of what the brand, Monistat is known for.  One comment in particular made me laugh out loud!  It went something like this:

"Any time my boyfriend would smell my face and say, 'Ahh so fresh and so clean,' I'd probably bust up laughing!"


Now, if you're worried about the same thing, just realize that the chafing gel is fragrance free, and it is NOT for the same thing as most of their other products.  Chafing cream is for your thighs to keep them from rubbing together and causing blisters. It creates a barrier, just like what primer does for your face: It creates a barrier between your skin and your foundation so your foundation will lay more smoothly.


If you're in the market for a primer, give it a try and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment