The blog of a fanatic who wants to eat, drink, and breathe makeup.

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Basin Scalp Soother Shampoo & Conditioner Bars First Impressions

Shampoo bars. Have you heard of them?




Shampoo bars are solid shampoo, essentially. They are little discs that look a lot like soap and they are meant for washing your hair.  They are great for travel, since they are not liquid. Generally they are highly concentrated and use essential oils and other ingredients that are really good for your hair and scalp.

Conditioner bars are similar, but instead of washing your hair, they're meant to soften, or condition your hair.

Recently I picked up the Scalp Soother Shampoo Bar and matching conditioner bar from Basin. And my first impression is: Impressive!


I think my expectations were pretty low. I was expecting it to feel like the time I washed my hair with bar soap (I was five years old).  Don't do that.


It didn't feel like that at all!




On Basin's website it describes the Scalp Soother Shampoo Bar as:
"Gentle ingredients clean and nourish without irritating the scalp."

Fragrance:
Peppermint

Recommended hair types:
Sensitive or dry scalp

Ingredients:
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera), Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao seed oil), Icthamol, Fragrance



In the shower, I picked up the shampoo bar, got it wet, and rubbed it between  my hands until I got a nice lather.  I put the shampoo bar down, and worked the lather through my hair.  It was weird because I did not have much lather on my hands, but I felt like I had too much product for my hair!  It was overly soapy. I have very short hair (shorter than chin length), so I definitely don't need much, but compared to how much shampoo I use, this was much, much less. You can use very little of this, and it spreads easily through your hair.  Next time I will lather the shampoo bar for a shorter time before working it through my hair.


After shampooing my hair felt really refreshed and clean.  What more can I ask of my shampoo?  Plus, it smells really nice.





On Basin's website it describes the Scalp Soother Conditioner Bar as:
"Nourish hair in our creamy Pineapple scented Conditioner Bar made with nutrients to heal, moisturize, regenerate, and strengthen hair."

Fragrance:
Pineapple

Recommended hair types:
All types

Ingredients:
Behentrimonium Methosulfate and Cetearyl, Cocoa Butter, Cetyl, Coconut Oil, Glycerine, Olive Oil, Fragrance, Jojoba Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, D-Panthernol, and Vitamin E. May contain: Blue 1, Red 40, Red 33, Yellow 5, Orange 4, or oxides.


There is a mistake on the website, because in the store the conditioner bar was advertised the same way as the shampoo bar: Gentle and non-irritating, peppermint scent. For dry and sensitive scalps.

From the lesson I learned with the shampoo bar, I didn't lather the conditioner as long, but it was harder to get a lather.  I worked what little I got off the bar into my hair, but it didn't spread quite as easily.  So I lathered again and got a little more worked through my hair.  It definitely worked at softening my hair.

On the website it says to rub the conditioner bar directly against your hair, so next time I will try that instead of trying to lather it.

The conditioner bar definitely smells like peppermint, and not pineapple.  It's the same scent as the shampoo bar.  The peppermint smell is very natural, much like the essential oil smells, if you've ever smelled that, just not quite as intense.  I have a peppermint lotion that smells very similar.



After using this my hair feels clean and silky smooth.  I'm really excited to use these for travel because I HATE taking liquids through security at the air port.

No comments:

Post a Comment